I wrote a blog post My Untold Story of #MeToo #ChurchToo in April 2018 in response to the accusations of abuse by Bill Hybels at Willow Creek. I never intended to share my story – in fact, many of my friends and those at the church I had attended at the time have never heard it. Beyond the story, there are facts of what happened, how I felt during that time, why I made the decision to remain quiet … and then what God taught me during and after it.
I shared the blog post because I felt like people needed to know why women stay quiet so they can be more sensitive to them. And what is going on behind the scenes so if you find out about it later, you can understand that it may be because people are trying to figure out what to do.
I planned on leaving this story in blog form. But in the last few weeks and months, I've heard more stories of more hurting people. Some of these stories aren't public yet. One of the preditors even complimented me on my blog post all those months ago – as he was abusing the women on his staff. What will it take to see a change?
I felt like the Lord wanted me to release this blog post in audio form – through my podcast. I hope it ministers to people in a different way. It feels really vulnerable to share it out loud. But I'm finding my voice in a whole new way. No fancy studio this time. Just me in my room talking into my phone. I'm aware there is power in releasing a testimony from a powerful overcomer mindset in a raw way.
Next week I'll share a message to the bystanders who are trying to process what they just learned about someone they love (episode 37). And the week after (episode 38), I'll share a blog post in an audio form about the 25 signs of spiritual abuse so you can detect it sooner.
Thank you for listening … and if you think it would bless someone, please share it.
Pastor John Czech
IN THIS EPISODE YOU'LL LEARN
- My #MeToo #ChurchToo story
- Why women don't speak up sooner
- Why the church is often in the dark for a while
- Why I think God lets things stay hidden for a while
- Why women freeze during traumatic experiences
- How we should respond to these kinds of incidents
- The difference between repentance and reconciliation
- How I prayed for the pastor who was inappropriate with me
- Bill Hybels
- #MeToo Movement
- My blog post of this podcast of #MeToo
- My blog post to the bystanders
- Why women freeze in trauma
Find Jill on social media:
- Website: www.jillmonaco.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/jillmonacoministries
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/jillmonaco
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/jillmonaco
One last thing… Producing this show does take resources. So if you would like to hear more conversations, please consider supporting this program of the ministry. Just click the button below and you'll be led to a donate page. All gifts are tax deductible. Thanks so much!
Loving this content?
Sign up for updates!
I'll send you new blog posts, podcasts and my quarterly newsletter with things not posted anywhere else!